Our two stage adoption process aims to reduce delay for children and their prospective adopters.
In the first stage we help you learn about adoption, before moving on to approval in stage two.
The process of becoming approved as an adoptive parent should take six months to complete, with stage one taking two months and stage two taking four months.
If you're thinking about adoption, download and complete the Enquiry Form at the foot of this page and return it to us. Once we have received your form, a member of the Adoption Team will contact you to help answer some of your questions and explain what's involved in becoming an adoptive parent.
Stage one - initial training and preparation
- Stage one begins when you submit your Registration of Interest form. This tells us more information about you and your family
- Once we have received your form we will contact you within five working days to talk further about adoption
- During stage one you will be invited to attend our Preparation to Adopt course, this will help you learn more about adoption and the children who are waiting for an adoptive family
- We will also need to carry out some checks to ensure there are no concerns about you caring for a child, these include police, medical and references from your friends
- Once stage one is complete we will talk to you about progressing to the next stage
- Stage one should take two months to complete
- You will also be given homework tasks to help your social worker get to know you and your family
Stage two - assessment
- Stage two begins when you let us know that you would like to continue with your application to adopt
- An adoption social worker will contact you to begin your Prospective Adopters Report. This will involve your allocated social worker visiting you regularly to assess and help you prepare for adoption
- Once your Prospective Adopters Report is completed, your report will be presented to the Adoption Panel, who will make a recommendation on your suitability to become an adoptive parent. You will be invited to attend this panel
- Stage two should take four months to complete.
Contact the Fostering, Adoption and Permanency services on
Tel: 0191 520 5553