Support for leaving care

Young people who have been looked after by the council may need some support to help them into independence and adult life, including:

  • deciding where to live
  • choosing whether  to go into work, get some more training or study for more qualifications
  • budgeting 
  • working out how much support might be needed from a social worker or personal adviser

Many organisations can offer support with such issues, including the Leaving Care Service. The level of support that can be offered by the Leaving Care Service depends on:

  • The young person's age
  • When and how long they were looked after
  • Whether they are still being looked after

Get in touch

Call the Next Steps service on 0191 561 7109
Or email us at


More in Children and young people

What is a young carer?

A young carer is a person aged between 4 and...

The ‘Commitments’ on this poster have been made by Together for Children to the children...

The Youth Drug & Alcohol Project (YDAP) was launched in 2004 and is currently based...

Our Children's Centre classes run across the city throughout the week. The guide below gives...

In partnership with