Sunderland Youth Council (formerly Sunderland Youth Parliament) – a group of young people aged 11-19 (up to 25 with LDD) that aim to represent the voices of young people in Sunderland, working to make change on specific issues voted for by young people.
SYC is responsible for hosting the Young People's State of the City Debate that takes place in November each year. The group meets weekly on Wednesday evenings from 4.30 to 6.30pm. Click here for more information.
Change Council: Young people aged 10-15 and 16+ who are currently cared for or care experienced, representing the voices of children and young people who are cared for and care experienced. Click here for more details on Change Council.
Spektrum – Spektrum is a group for young people aged 11-16 who identify as LGBTQ+ or are questioning their sexuality and or gender.
It is a confidential, non-judgemental place where you can:
- be yourself, or whoever you are going to be.
- make new friends, feel heard, valued and safe.
- take part in fun and informative workshops and activities.
- hear what’s happening in the wider community and get involved in shaping the future of LGBTQ+ community support in Sunderland.
- access useful information
- get one-to-one support from youth workers
SEND Voice – a group of young people with Special Educational needs and Disabilities aged 12 – 25 that represent the voices of young people with SEND.
Young Inspectors and Commissioners – a programme that trains young people aged 11-19 (up to 25 with LDD) to inspect services used by young people. Young people will then inspect and evaluate a variety of services used by young people.
To get involved or to find out more information about any of our groups, please just get in touch.
Tel: 0191 561 7400
Email: YouthVoice @togetherforchildren.org.uk
Campaigns our Young people have achieved - All of our groups regularly support specific initiatives, this may be to provide feedback or help development. Below are some examples:
- Your Mindfulness and Wellbeing Pack - The Mindfulness and Wellbeing pack is full of activities that people of all ages can enjoy. These activities have been developed by experts from around Sunderland and beyond to be a fun and interactive introduction to Mindfulness.
- In 2017 Together for Children initiated the Thriving and Coping Work-stream, a group of multi-agency professionals, working with Sunderland Youth Parliament (SYP), to develop the Sunderland Mental Health Charter Mark.
- Kooth provides free, safe, online counselling and support for young people in Sunderland aged 11-18 years and to those who are leaving the care system up to 25.