Together for Children is celebrating the third consecutive outstanding rating from Ofsted for one of its children’s homes.
Together for Children provides children’s services and manages four children’s homes in Sunderland that each accommodate six young people aged between 11 and 18.
Ofsted, the government office for standards in education, children's services and skills praised the vibrant, well-maintained and welcoming home at Colombo Road in Hylton Castle and stated that:
• Careful planning and consideration are given to the activities offered to children and young people.
• Children and young people have quality time invested in them by a consistently caring and nurturing team.
• When risks to children and young people are identified, the manager takes a multi-agency and proactive approach to reduce risk before it has an impact.
• Staff are excellent role models of positive behaviour, which improves social skills.
• The well-being of children and young people, including their mental health, is seen as important and meditation classes take place in the home weekly.
Martin Birch, Director of Children’s Social Care at Together for Children, said: “This outstanding report highlights our motivational homes leadership team.
“Recent creative approaches that rightly received the praise of Ofsted include the training of a therapy dog to support young people that have experienced trauma, multi-agency working, regular work with psychological support and the development of independent living skills and work experience.”