Government updates about Schools
Government announced all schools would close from Friday 20 March to all children except those of key workers and the most vulnerable children.
Vulnerable children include children who are supported by social care, those with safeguarding and welfare needs, including child in need plans, on child protection plans, ‘looked after’ children, young carers, disabled children and those with education, health and care (EHC) plans.
The Government have published its list of key workers. If your work is critical to the COVID-19 response, or you work in one of the critical sectors listed your children will be prioritised for education provision.
In response to Covid-19, we all need to do what we can to reduce the spread of the virus. That is why the government has given clear guidance on self-isolation, household isolation and social distancing.
While you might have a role within the Government’s Key Worker list, you may be able to ensure your child is kept at home. Every child who can be safely cared for at home should be.
Parents or carers of children with social workers or children with an Education Health and Care Plan do not have to send children into school, it is a parental choice.
Please click here for more information.
Which schools are open?
The majority of Sunderland schools are open to the children of key workers and vulnerable children. Some schools are operating as hubs - please see list below. Parents and carers should check their child's school website for the latest updated information. (27.03.2020)
From Monday 30 March the following Schools will operate as Hubs:
Primary School Hubs
- St. Joseph’s Primary, Washington to host pupils from: Our Lady Queen of Peace Primary, Houghton-le-Spring and St John Boste Primary, Washington
- George Washington Primary, Washington to host pupils from: John F Kennedy Primary, Washington
- Fatfield Academy, Washington to host pupils from: Burnside Academy, Houghton-le-Spring and New Penshaw Academy, Houghton-le-Spring
- Usworth Colliery Primary, Washington to host pupils from: Marlborough Primary, Washington
- Dubmire Primary, Houghton-le-Spring to host pupils from: Newbottle Primary, Houghton-le-Spring and Gillas Lane Primary, Houghton-le-Spring
- Hetton Lyons Primary, Houghton-le-Spring to host pupils from: Hetton Lyons Nursery, Houghton-le-Spring
- St. John Bosco Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: St. Benet’s Primary, Sunderland
- Castletown Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: Willow Fields Primary, Sunderland
- Farringdon Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: Plains Farm Academy, Sunderland
- Ryhope Junior School, Sunderland to host pupils from: Ryhope Infant School, Sunderland
- Barnes Junior School, Sunderland to host pupils from: Barnes Infant School, Sunderland
- Academy 360, Sunderland to host pupils from: South Hylton Primary, Sunderland
- St. Anne’s RC Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: Highfield Academy, Sunderland
- Hudson Road Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: Valley Road Primary, Sunderland
- Hill View Juniors to host pupils from: Hill View Infants
- St. Marys RC Primary, Sunderland to host pupils from: St. Leonard’s RC Primary, Sunderland and St. Joseph’s Primary, Sunderland
Secondary School Hubs
- St. Anthony’s to host pupils from: St. Aidan’s
Free School Meals
Schools with contractual arrangements with Together for Children and Sunderland City Council for school meals are distributing packed lunches to the children of parents and carers who meet qualifying criteria, while other schools are distributing food vouchers.
Please note that the universal provision offered to children in reception, year 1 and year 2 does not apply, parents and carers must meet the qualifying criteria. Parents and carers who are key workers and have children attending school must provide their child/children with a packed lunch.
DfE Coronavirus Helpline
The Department for Education is operating a helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday / 10am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday