We provide a range of after adoption support services including helping you to access the Adoption Support Fund.
The After Adoption Service is available for anyone affected by adoption who lives in Sunderland or for anyone whose adoption was dealt with by Together for Children.
We continue to support you up to three years after the adoption order is made.
Our After Adoption staff maintain the After Adoption Post Box to help children maintain indirect contact to birth family members. We will be on hand to offer advice or support around this. If there are direct contact arrangements, our After Adoption workers will assist in receiving and acting as intermediaries where necessary.
Support available includes:
- Adoption support advisor - our advisor can give advice and information to people who may be affected by adoption or the planned adoption of a child
- Assessment for support - anyone affected by adoption can ask for an assessment to look at what support they need
- Making contact - birth relatives can ask for help in contacting an adopted child where this is appropriate for the child's needs
- Post box contact scheme - a way to exchange information to keep adopted children up to date with what is happening in their birth family
- Birth records counselling - available to all adopted adults who are looking for information about their birth family regardless of whether they intend to make contact
- Confidential advice and counselling
- Fun events - for adopted children and their families, such as Crafty Kidz and our summer events.
- Support groups - for adoptive parents and birth parents
- Buddylinks - an opportunity for adoptive parents to be buddied with each other for support purposes
- Newsletter - for adoptive families
- Advice and guidance
- An intermediary service - for people adopted through Sunderland who wish to contact their birth family
- Consultancy - advice and information for other professionals
Adoption Support Fund
The Adoption Support Fund (ASF) is available to adopters throughout England. It offers more than £19m extra funding to support families.
Who is eligible?
The ASF is available to all children adopted from care and not just newly adopted children. It will pay for post-adoption-order support for children adopted from care in England, or living in England having moved from care in Wales, up to age 18 (25 with an SEN statement).
The funding isn't applicable to inter-country adoptions or non-agency adoptions.
If we place a child with you, we are responsible for assessing your adoption support needs for three years after the adoption. After that, it becomes the responsibility of the local authority where you live. We can submit applications for funding before an Adoption Order, so adopters can receive a continuous package of support from the time of placement.
After your assessment we will consider if therapeutic support is needed, the type required and if it is eligible for payments from the fund. Together we will look at the support that is available and then apply to the fund on your behalf.
After the Adoption Support Fund approves the funding, the funds are transferred to us and we will then purchase the support.
Contact the Adoption service on
Tel: 0191 561 2221