Together for Children provides a range of help to disabled children and young people, their families, and carers in Sunderland.
Any child or young person with additional need is entitled to an assessment of need as set out in the Children Act 1989. The carers needs will be considered as part of this assessment. Together for Children – Sunderland is committed to completing these assessments when a request to do so is received. The child or young person’s level of need will determine which team is responsible for completing this assessment.
The Children with Disabilities Team undertake assessments with the purpose of meeting the needs of children and young people, who have a permanent or severe disability.
The team are a specialist service targeted at those children and young people who are aged 0-17 years 11 months who have:
- a severe long-term physical or sensory impairment
- a severe learning disability
- a life-limiting or life-threatening medical condition
- a diagnosis of autism and associated severe learning disability
The support that can be offered could include:
- supporting them to engage in appropriate activities that enable their families to have a break from their caring role
- providing behavioural support to parents and carers of children who have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and/or a learning disability
- providing overnight short breaks
- personal assistants funded via direct payments, promoting social opportunities, and developing independence
- access to commissioned youth provisions
- support with transition to adult services
- ensuring they are safeguarded
The services are intended to support families and use their strengths to enable children and young people to fulfil their potential.
The Assessment Team will undertake assessments with the purpose of meeting the needs of children and young people who have the following diagnosis.
- children diagnosed with ADHD (unless also diagnosed with one of the above disabilities/conditions)
- children with mild learning disability/learning difficulties
- children with educational and behavioural difficulties.
The support that can be offered will be assessed and in line with the Local Offer
Referrals for assessment need to be made via the Integrated Contact and Referral Team at Together for Children on 0191 520 5560.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities - our Local Offer
The aim of the Local Offer is to support children and young people (ages 0 to 25) with SEN and disabilities to feel included within their communities and to be independent. It can help you make choices and decisions that may have a positive impact now and into the future.
Disabled Children Register
If you're a parent of a child with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND) you can also sign up for our Disabled Children Register (DCR). For joining the register you will receive a Max Card that will entitle you and your family discount entry to attractions and days out across the North East.
You'll also be kept up-to-date with developments in our services for disabled children and young people.
For students travelling to school or college see the further information on our Education Transport page or call us on 0191 561 2284.
Download our Disability Team criteria for children and young people aged 0–17