Sunderland’s Change Council are children and young people who are supported, empowered and encouraged to run their own meetings, create actions, develop campaigns, and have their say about things that matter to them.
Change Council are involved in making decisions about services provided by Together For Children and their partners that impact on cared for and care experienced children and young people.
Change council are split into two groups:
- Young people aged 16+yrs who are currently cared for or care experienced who represent the voices of children and young people who are cared for and care experienced.
- Young people aged 10-15yrs who are currently cared for representing the voices of children and young people who are cared for.
The aims of Sunderland Change Council are to:
- Improve services for children and young people who are cared for or care experienced in Sunderland
- Raise awareness of the issues faced by children cared for and care experienced in Sunderland
- Ensure that young people who are cared for or care experienced are listened to and heard.
- Build self-esteem and confidence
- Have Fun
What do we do in Change Council?
- We meet regularly at a TFC Venue
- We work through an agenda of items that have been agreed by Change Council
- Talk about things that are important to us
- Go on residentials
- Get together to make friends and have fun
- Work together with the regional children in care council in the North East of England
- Get involved in recruitment and selection
- Plan events
- Have day trips out and activities
- Make recommendations to change things and improve services for cared for and care experienced children and young people
What we have achieved?
- Free leisure activities for all children and young people who are cared for and care experienced provided by everyone Active
- Commissioned Kooth, an online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people.
- Changed the name of ‘Contact’ to ‘Family Time’
- Annually plan and run the Christmas Celebration Event for all cared for and care experienced young people
- Interviewed for Senior Leaders within Together for Children
- Delivered training to professionals
- Planned and ran workshops at the regional conference
- Worked with the IRO service to make sure children and young people know who they are
How to Get Involved
Change Council meet on Wednesdays 5pm – 7pm
If you are a cared for or care experienced child or young person and would like to join Change Council, have some questions or simply want some more information, please contact:
Nikki Donaldson, Participation and Engagement Officer
You can also contact any of the agencies below for support:
IMO - IMO is a voice for teenagers in care and for care leavers. It is somewhere they can share stories, experiences and achievements, get and give advice. IMO also share opportunities for care leavers, like jobs and apprenticeships, and give away lots of free things.
Coram Voice - Getting youth voices heard - Click here for more information
Become - Is a charity offering help and support to children and young people who are cared for and care experienced. Click here for more information.