Wear Here 4 You
What is Wear Here 4 You?
Wear Here 4 You is a mobile prevention service that provides information, advice and support for children and young people in Sunderland.
The service is delivered from our Wear Here 4 You bus, a recognisable hub on wheels that makes its way round Sunderland to reach young people across our city. The service is delivered in partnership with organisations from across the region, and is staffed by Together for Children, Growing Healthy, Northumbria Police, Youth Consortium and our partners.
Wear Here 4 You engages young people about issues that matter to them, offering advice and support and signposting them to other services where needed.
The service supports the Sunderland Healthy City Plan vision to support children and young people in Sunderland to have healthy and happy lives, with on one left behind. It also supports Starting Well Pathway, which lays the foundations for a healthy life from preconception to young adulthood, with the priority to give every child the best start in life.
Alongside this, the service supports children and young people to recover from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, which has widened health inequalities in the city and has impacted on access to services to support children and young people.
Why mobile provision?
In Summer 2021, Together for Children launched a mobile offer as part of our DfE funded Holiday Activity and Food Programme (called Wear Here 4 Spring/Summer/Winter in Sunderland).
A bus was used to provide mobile provision across the city, reaching over 1,500 children and young people over 16 sessions.
Young people received advice and guidance around careers, healthy relationships, sex, health and wellbeing, nutrition and healthy eating and staying active, whilst families found out about support services they didn't know existed, registered with their local Family Centres, signed up to the Healthy Start programme and were referred into Early Help services.
Following the success of our summer programme, this new service has been launched with the aim of reaching even more children, young people and families in Sunderland.
What does the service offer?
Wear Here 4 You will:
- Provide a safe space for children and young people
- Highlight the support services available across the city for children, young people and their families
- Directly deliver prevention programmes, one-to-one targeted interventions and evidence-based interventions to improve outcomes for children and young people
- Directly deliver themed sessions to raise awareness of online safety, cyberbullying and bullying and the impact this has on mental health and emotional resilience
- Deliver health interventions to children, young people as part of Growing Healthy 0-19 programme
- Deliver and promote the C Card (age specific)
- Take support provision to geographical areas/wards where there has been difficulty for young people to access it or where a targeted provision is required
- Enable young people to have a positive voluntary relationship with an adult who has a professional interest in the wellbeing of young people
- Enable Together for Children and delivery partners to gain a greater understanding of young people's situations in order to increase accuracy of intervention
- Support the partnership to understand the issues and needs of young people to the benefit of both
- Support young people to gain a variety of skills and knowledge and raise their aspiration
- Prevent young people taking risks and engaging in unhealthy and unsafe behaviours
Which partners are involved and what services are offered?
Wear Here 4 You is a partnership offer involving Together for Children, Sunderland City Council, Northumbria Police, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue, Growing Healthy, Sunderland Safeguarding Children Partnership and Sunderland All Together Consortium.
We offer the following support services to children and young people:
- Anti- Bullying support
- Relationship, Sex and Health Education (RSHE)
- Youth Drug and Alcohol (YDAP)
- Co-production opportunities
- Better Mental Health
- Careers advice and guidance
- Nutritional education - Change 4 Life Sunderland
- Staying Safe advice and guidance
- Family Centres
- Restorative Practice
- Virtual reality kit - Child Sexual Exploitation, Criminal Exploitation and Hate Crime
- Violence against women and girls
- Family Centre taster opportunities
- Detached Youth Work (area dependant)
This page is for professionals. If you're a young person and want to know more about Wear Here 4 You, visit our page for Children and Young People.